Blueberry and lemon Bread
150g Self Raising Flour
140g Porridge Oats
200g Fresh Sweet Blueberries (split into three portions)
5tbsp Granulated Sweetener (Slimming World friendly)
OR 5tbsp Natural Honey (not Slimming World friendly)
350mls St Helen’s Farm Fat Free Goats Milk Yogurt
2x Medium Eggs
1tbsp Sunflower Oil
2tsp Lemon Juice (retained from original lemons)
4tsp Icing Sugar/Sweetener Icing Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Using a peeler, peel small curls of lemon rind from one of the lemons. Set aside to garnish the cake with later.
- In a blender, blitz half of the porridge oats until they are a fine powder.
- In a mixing bowl, or the bowl of your stand mix, combine the blended oats together with the sweetener (if using), flour and the rest of the oats, keeping back one teaspoon of flour to coat the cake tin.
- Add the eggs, yogurt, sunflower oil lemon juice and zest of the remaining lemon. If you are topping with a drizzle, keep two teaspoons of lemon juice for later.
- If you are using honey instead of sweetener then add the honey at this point too.
- Blend until smooth and then add 1/3 of the blueberries. Mix together with a spatula.
- Place a saucepan over a low heat and add the second portion of blueberries, with a couple of teaspoons of water. Cook until reduced to a jam-like consistency.
- Greace your cake tin, or use a spray oil, and add the teaspoon of flour using it to coat the tin.
- Layer half of your cake batter into the cake tin, and then spoon the blueberry jam in the centre, topping with the second half of the cake mix – making sure that the jam is fully covered. Top with the remaining blueberries.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the sides start coming away from the side of the tin and a skewer comes out almost clean. Because of the gooey centre, the skewer will likely have blueberry residue even when the cake is cooked.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then tip out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Top with the lemon curls. If you are adding a drizzle then mix together the remaining lemon juice and the icing sugar, drizzle over the cake.
Leave a Comment