Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
Keto Chocolate chip cookies are one of my favourite keto cookies. These low carb cookies are the perfect recipe to make for any occasion; make them for keto workplace treats, a sneaky treat for yourself, or a sneaky healthy treat for the kids
- 3.5 oz Salted Butter (3.5 oz – 1/2 cup)
- 4.5 oz Erythritol (SoNourished) (4.5 oz – 3/4 cup)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 large Egg (50g / 1.7 oz)
- 6 oz Almond Flour (6 oz – 170g) by weight, equals about 1 1/2 cups, depending on your almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 oz Sugar Free Chocolate Chips (90g – 3/4 cu
Preheat a fan forced oven to 180C (360F).
Melt the butter in saucepan until melted and hot over medium heat. Place the melted butter and erythritol in a mixing bowl and beat until combined. Add the vanilla and egg, and beat on low for another 15 seconds.
Add the almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Beat until well combined.
Press the dough together and remove from the bowl. Knead in the chocolate chips with your hands or a silicone spatula.
Use a small ice cream scoop to divide and shape the dough into 12 portions and place on a lined baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 180C (360F). The cookies will look a little undercooked when removing from the oven, but after cooling they will harden.
**baking tip** If cookies have not flattened after 6-7 minutes in the oven, press down with the back of a fork.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Keep in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Tips & Notes:
CAN I SUBSTITUTE ANY INGREDIENTS IN THIS RECIPE?
I have showcased different ingredients to show you how using alternatives might affect the quality of the cookie.
- Fine Almond Flour: It still works, but results in a too flat for my liking.
- Coconut Flour: It’s pretty bad, so don’t try it.
- Coconut Oil: It also doesn’t work that well. The cookies melt too quickly and stay in more of a ball shape.
- Without Xanthan Gum: Too flat. If you baked the cookies for a little less time, it could definitely work. I suggest for 8-9 minutes.
- You can also substitute Xanthan Gum with Gelatin (1 tsp).
- Liquid Stevia: The cookies came out hard as a rock.
WHERE CAN I PURCHASE SUGAR-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIPS?
Lily’s do a great quality sugar-free chocolate chip, which works great in this recipe.
However, if you don’t have access to those specific choc chips, you can always just use:
- Chopped up 90% Lindt chocolate
- 100% bakers chocolate.
My Cookies Aren’t Flat Like Yours? What Did I Do Wrong?
Some people’s cookies didn’t flatten in the oven when making this recipe. If you are not using 100% pure erythritol, your cookies will not flatten. I use 100% erythritol in this recipe and it works every time.
For others, they may fail to measure the almond flour by weight, which will result in more almond flour in the recipe than necessary, and results in cookies that do not flatten.
If they still don’t melt into cookie shapes in the oven within the first 5 minutes, it either means that you’ve added too much flour or you’ve not melted the butter as shown above. But don’t worry! You can easily press them down with fork midway through cooking.
If you’re using ghee instead of butter, you’ll need to experiement with the ratio, it won’t be 1:1 ratio for butter, I’d use less.